Thursday, April 4, 2013

This morning is my first time to see one of few favorite Library spots empty! Butler is the only library to be open 24/7 on campus, so at night you are bound to find some zombies walking around with some energy drinks at hand. 



Ever since last weekend, we've been having lots of sunshine here. Notice that this room is super lit up. What would we do without electricity in 21st century? Yesterday, I was talking to a sophomore in college, who asked me about my research topics. So, I told her about my Vietnam project and pending India solar home system project. When she heard the statistics about access to electricity, she exclaimed, "how can people live without electricity?" Come to think of it, I don't ever remember living without electricity at home. 


This is the map I made using NOAA night lights data for Vietnam. We can't see the similar stark difference for South Korea, because this satellite data is available from 1992 to current. 

But this picture is often used for cross-country comparison in magazines and even academic journal articles. 


You just see a dot of light from far away. 

2 comments:

  1. Contrast between the two Koreas. Pitch dark up north.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how in Evanston, when I looked towards Chicago, the sky would be reddish, while when I looked the other way towards... the suburbs?, the night sky would be pitch dark.

    ReplyDelete