Monday, April 29, 2013


Monday noon. I'm spending the early hours of the week with this guy here reading about phenomenology and the body. Merleau-Ponty will be the philosophical pillar of my dissertation (due in 5 weeks, yikes) which will be about the treatment of the 'body-character' in the two films Dogtooth(2009) and Innocence(2004). The body has been an overdone topic in film, especially the bodies of young girls but usually in this context, the body is discussed in a Lolita syndrome / psychoanalytical / objectification of women / male gaze / feminist framework, which I will attempt to stay away from. Merleau-Ponty has a fluid way of writing, a beautiful but extraordinarily complex manner of approaching his topic. Many dislike him precisely because of his wound-up and overly-intellectualized stylistic, but I find him brilliant. I hope I do him justice. 

1 comment:

  1. wanna know what it is like to be "overly-intellectualized stylistic" in writing. have to make use of all that GRE vocab!

    i borrowed out "on writing well" but haven't started yet..

    ReplyDelete