Wednesday, May 8, 2013


This morning, I realized with utter dismay that it is Parents' Day tomorrow and thought shit, too late to send a basket of flowers to Mom and Dad -- not that I didn't try, but for some reason the credit card service was not cooperative and the website stated that they could not promise to deliver the flowers in time if ordered post-Tuesday work hours (Korea time). So binned that idea. On to Plan B.

Instead, I went to florist and bought these white carnations, took a bunch of staged photos of the flowers and myself, and basically made a customized card (inserted text: Happy Mother/Father's Day, etc) and sent them to my parents via kakao talk. Daughterly duty executed in fashionable manner I would say. 

In Korea, during this time of the year, you see flower baskets carpeting the streets of Shinchon and Gangnam and florist shops teeming with daughters/sons/students seeking out fresh carnations in various hues of red, pink, yellow, and white for our parents and teachers. The whole floral tradition does seem a bit forced and contrived at times, but it seems like a nice way for all of us to appreciate the sentiment certain flowers on certain days of the year. 

The carnations sit near my window, with wine bottles as vases. 

1 comment:

  1. goood girlie girl:)
    i sent kakaotalk as well, considering that my parents prefer real presents over flowers lol

    Americans dedicate a day entirely to Mom (May) and Dad (June). Do British do so as well?

    ReplyDelete