Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Last Saturday, 10th graders (18th wave!!!) and teachers from high school came on a field trip. (I bet there's a batch heading your way Mandy ^____^) This group was even more dear to me, since our French teacher Mme Florence, and game over advisor Mr. Han came as supervisors. The weather wasn't as pretty as today's blue skies, but it didn't rain as forecasted! On Friday night, I had prayed that it wouldn't rain while we give a tour of the campus and have Q&A sessions with the college student alums and working alums. Rain poured down after they left. 

Whenever these kids come, I go through a set of emotions. The school that kindled faith in Jesus Christ, the school where I met lifetime friends, the school where I learned that you can become friends with teachers, the school where I learned how to study by myself, the school where I learned to appreciate nature. Some of the same teachers are still giving all their efforts to guide young ones to follow through in that same school, and the young ones are still choosing to go to that same school that I can't muster up the courage to go visit. It's been four years since I last visited. 

If I visit, I think I will be overwhelmed by sadness to see the school in a bit dilapidated state (considering that I don't think buildings are regularly renovated, or are they?), and my inability to help out. When I mentioned this to Mr. Woo, the English teacher who used to sing us pop songs whenever it rained on a Wednesday class, he told me that only when we are in our 40s, would we be even able to donate to school. He quietly told me that now is the time to focus on our careers. Mme Florence and Mr. Han told me that the vision trip is worth the effort and care, because they get to see us. Maybe this is why reunions are great, to remind ourselves of the dreams we had, people we invited into our lives, and why we chose to be where we are now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment