Monday, April 1, 2013


Yesterday, I broke my tenacious three month meat-fast with lamb at my friend Clara's Easter dinner. Talk about an intense re-introduction. I am not sure how I feel about this yet. One part of me wants to shrug and say, "Oops I won't do it again. Consider it an Easter weekend foil" while another voice whispers "You've already broken the self-challenge. Just eat less of it and don't fuss." What to do, what to do!



My initial inspiration for trying out vegetarianism sprung from Jonathan Safran Foer's book Eating Animals and Eric Rohmer's film Le Rayon Vert (1986). Surprisingly I did not find cutting meat out of my diet that difficult, although it did put me social situations where I would have to eat double portions of mashed potatoes (yuck) while others knifed finely cooked steak, which did not make me happy at all. 

Today the unni I'm staying with in London is hosting a bossam party. My dietary musings will have to be postponed till tomorrow, as today is still Easter weekend, ha! One thing is for certain: even if I don't continue to avoid meat, I'm shunning all traces of potatoes in my meals simply because they repulse me. Those potatoes, they must die.


2 comments:

  1. Double portions of mashed potatoes..
    I don't think you should feel too bad. It's the heart that counts. The heart for more manageable, conscious, and humane farming practices instead of mega-scale production of meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being super sweet : ) The whole project started as a monthly challenge after all. So I think I will try to be a conscious and aware but social friendly eater.

      Delete