Saturday, March 30, 2013


Rather than getting an Easter egg, I received a Little Miss Sunshine chocolate from my flatmate John as a token of gratitude for my marvelous job at helping out with his spring cleaning.

"Randy I have a gift for you." "Is she supposed to be me?" "Yeah, in a way." 



Before I was christened Mandy in high school by my dear chums, I was known as Sunny, a spin off from my real name Sun Hyung. All my friends from Greece and middle school continue to know me as such, which must be confusing for them when they see my new name on Facebook. 

Names do make you I suppose, since I was in actuality more of a cheerful and happy character as Sunny. Closer to Little Miss Sunshine than I could ever be in one lifetime. 

As Mandy (and never Amanda) I have a theme song by Barry Manilow which was also redone by Westlife. The urban myth is that Mandy was the name of Manilow's dog but consensus is, the story is simply bollocks. 

Other than the pop song, I would have thought that Mandy did not have direct correlations with particular attributes or nuances, although a dig into Urban Dictionary suggested otherwise (I am especially fond of definition 3: a beautiful person who all the guys want to sleep with. She is really sweet but drinks a lot). 

Which ties in quite well with my newest nickname Randy, harmlessly derived from the rhyming original (an ingenious effort on John's part). I am called Randy Mandy/Randers/Randinsky around the flat. I have no choice but to try to live up to the name. You are what you are.

1 comment:

  1. I like to call you miss sunshine too!
    Such a cute chocolate figure :D

    ReplyDelete